[SciPy-user] No module named _umfpack

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:08:41 CDT 2006

Ron Kneusel wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm building numpy and scipy according to the directions on the web site
> (Steve Baum's doc).  Everything works fine and compiles properly.  When I
> load scipy:

> I'm told that there is no module named '_umfpack'.
>
> Looking through the archives I see a recent post where someone said that
> setup.py for linsolve was screwy and was building __umfpack instead of
> _umfpack.
>
> What the post didn't mention is how to fix this error.  What needs to be
> modified?

If you actually do want to build the UMFPACK bindings, then you can edit
Lib/linsolve/setup.py to replace "__umfpack" with "_umfpack".

There are two bugs open and assigned to Robert Cimrman. I hope he can find the
time to attend to them soon.

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/190
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/191

--