[SciPy-user] No module named _umfpack

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 07:05:53 CDT 2006

Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>If you actually do want to build the UMFPACK bindings, then you can edit
>>Lib/linsolve/setup.py to replace "__umfpack" with "_umfpack".
>
> you mean Lib/linsolve/umfpack/setup.py? in Lib/linsolve/setup.py there
> is just config.add_subpackage('umfpack')...

Umm, yes. That's what I meant.

>>There are two bugs open and assigned to Robert Cimrman. I hope he can find the
>>time to attend to them soon.
>
> Sorry, I missed them...

I'm working on setting up email notification.

>>http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/190
>
> Well, it should work as it is now - the top-level umfpack module is
> 'umfpack.py', the swig-generated modules are '_umfpack.py' and
> '__umfpack.so', so please do not change this.

Yes, you're right. I realize now that I wasn't building umfpack at all because I
don't have UMFPACK installed. And I probably won't until there is a source
distribution of it that doesn't require me to hack makefiles that attempt to
build MEX files.

> UMFPACK is optional, and it is not included in the scipy SVN, so you
> have to install it yourself from Tim Davis' homepage if you want (the
> version 4.4). Then just add [amd] and [umfpack] sections to your
> site.cfg, as it is described in numpy/site.cfg.example
>
>  > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/191
>
> Done in the SVN.

Thank you!

--