[SciPy-user] array vs matrix, converting code from matlab

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 21 00:38:38 CDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> By the way, I'd be interested in an n-dimension Gaussian function for
> NumPy/SciPy too.
>
> Anyone else interested in machine learning and or bayesian methods?  A
> port of Netlab ( http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/netlab/index.php) in
> SciPy would be great.
Actually, I am porting a code for Gaussian Mixture Models with batch and
online EM. I first try to do a pure python version to get an idea on
scipy capabilities, and then I intend to create the stub to a C
implementation (which already exists for matlab, the core being
independant of matlab). I am  hoping to have a much cleaner
implementation, and more extensible (ie using other pdf, and why not
more general models) using python
languages capabilities (module, inheritance, etc...).

I think porting netlab would be a huge task, and quite difficult; there
is also torch (http://www.torch.ch/) which may be interesting to use
(C++ code, BSD license). Having a machine learning tool box would be a
step forward for scipy, I guess.

David