[SciPy-user] [wxPython-users] [OT] - what happens to the cmd module in python 2.3.5 on windows?

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Fri Apr 21 13:19:35 CDT 2006

Hi,

Sorry for the off-topic request, but I can't find anything by googling
and I'm sure to talk to a crowd of expert Pythoneers, so...

I'm building a CLI+GUI app for data analysis using wxpython and
matplotlib for the GUI, and the Cmd standard Python module for the
command line. The cli and the gui run in two separate threads.

On Debian GNU/Linux the application works perfectly. I'm trying to get
it working on Windows too. I'd like it to be able to work with the
Enthought python distribution on Windows, that already includes 90% of
the external libraries (scipy, numarray, wxpython etc.) I need, so
people don't have to install a bazillion dependencies one by one to get
it working -just a few must be downloaded in addition.

This distribution ships Python 2.3.5.

Now, on windows the GUI thread starts apparently correctly, but the CLI
doesn't work and stops with the following error:

Exception in thread Thread-1:Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Python23\lib\threading.py", line 442, in __bootstrap
     self.run()
   File "hooke.py", line 57, in run
     cli.cmdloop()
   File "C:\Python23\lib\cmd.py", line 109, in cmdloop
     self.preloop()
   File "C:\Python23\lib\cmd.py", line 152, in preloop
     import readline
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\__init__.py", line 1, in ?
     from PyReadline import *
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\PyReadline.py", line
1091, in ?
     rl = Readline()
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\PyReadline.py", line 46,
in __ini
t__
     self.emacs_editing_mode(None)
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\PyReadline.py", line
1008, in ema
cs_editing_mode
     self._bind_key('"%s"' % chr(c), self.self_insert)
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\PyReadline.py", line
1000, in _bi
nd_key
     keyinfo = key_text_to_keyinfo(key)
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\keysyms.py", line 101,
in key_tex
t_to_keyinfo
     return keyseq_to_keyinfo(keytext[1:-1])
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\keysyms.py", line 163,
in keyseq_
to_keyinfo
     res.append(char_to_keyinfo(keyseq[0], control, meta, shift))
   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\readline\keysyms.py", line 111,
in char_to
_keyinfo
     raise ValueError, 'bad key'
ValueError: bad key

I really can't understand how to patch the thing here. Any suggestion?

Thanks again for your patience,
m.

--
Massimo Sandal