[SciPy-user] array vs matrix, converting code from matlab

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:26:53 CDT 2006

Hello all

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I recently started with my masters
thesis, which will probably focus on the application of Gaussian Mixture
Models and Support Vector Machines to the problem of speaker verification. I
would be very interested in cooperating on any effort to implement or wrap
GMM and SVM code for SciPy.

As far as SVM libraries go, I quite like SVM-Light and libsvm, which both
have Python wrappers. Unfortunately these don't integrate with NumPy at the
moment.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~tomf/svmpython/

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm/

I'm also interested in implementing some feature extraction algorithms and
compensation techniques, such as Mel-Frequency Cepstral Coefficients (MFCC),
RASTA filtering and others. There's some very nice MATLAB code that can
serve as a starting point for these efforts:

http://www.ee.columbia.edu/labrosa/matlab/rastamat/

Anybody else doing speech recognition/speaker verification/etc. with NumPy
and SciPy?

Regards,

Albert

  _____