[SciPy-user] GiNaC / Scipy ?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 04:28:32 CDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research <
jelle.feringa at ezct.net> wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I've been really impressed by some recent efforts in bringing FEM to
> python:
> especially SyFi caught my eye, Symbolic Finite Element, and effort of
> Kent-Andre Mardal. The interesting thing here is that its built on top of
> the symbolic math lib GiNaC,
> http://www.ginac.de/
> which has swig wrappers for python, Swigniac,
> http://swiginac.berlios.de/
>
> I'm wondering how relevant Swigniac could be for Scipy?

I don't have much to say Re: SciPy and this, but it's certainly worth
linking to from the SciPy wiki, if nothing else.  I guess the main thing
you'd want is to be able to do is evaluate GiNaC expressions using values
taken from Numpy arrays.

Are the SWIG wrappers currently better than the Boost::python wrappers
linked to from the main ginac page?  Since they're linked, the boost ones
seem to be more "official" than the swig ones.

> Cheers,
>
> -jelle
>
> //We get quite a bit of Matlab references on this list,
> //let's just not overlook Mathematica ;)

// Let's not overlook Matlab's symbolic toolbox either.  ;-)
// (It's pretty much the only add-on toolbox I ever use in Matlab.)

--bill