[SciPy-user] Use of Scipy in a students final year mechanical engineering project.

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly2 at ucdconnect.ie
Mon Aug 7 02:00:12 CDT 2006

Hi,
I sent this email to Eric Jones, but he recommended that I send it to this mailing list instead. I'm trying to see if scipy could fit into a final year project for my mechanical engineering course.
I am a student of mechanical engineering in UCD Dublin , and part of my course involves doing a final year project. We do very little programming in my course, but as coding and python in particular is something that interests me, I'd like to have some involvement in python in my final year project.
Because my course is not centered around coding, I think I'd be more likely to be able to do a project on applying a python application like scipy to a problem, or using python as glue in a scripting applicatin. I found scipy while searching for an idea for a project that I could do in python, while staying within the scope of mechanical engineering and my course. I'm still no closer to an idea, so I thought I'd write to you to see if you had any ideas of what I might be able to do as a mechanical engineer with python/scipy.
Something that I think might be plausible might be a simulation or computational analysis of some kind, but I would probably need to justify using python for whatever I do rather than MatLab, which is the industry standard, and the program that my lecturers are already familiar with. I have never used MatLab myself, so I'm not sure what it offers.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. I emailed one of my lecturers already, who asked me for more specific details and to give thought to the type of project I would like to do.
Kind Regards,
Stephen Kelly