[SciPy-user] Use of Scipy in a students final year mechanical engineering project.

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Aug 7 03:40:27 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:53:31AM +0200, William Hunter wrote:
> 1) Why don't you you do a small FEA program, assuming that you have
> knowledge of this? Something simple where you can define 2D geometry
> with AutoCAD or anything that can save in DXF format. You'll have to
> read in the DXF file, represent with Matplotlib, mesh it (perhaps
> using Delaunay), apply loads and constraints and solve the system. Or
> perhaps just some aspects of this?

If something that reads DXF files and is able to plot them with
matplotlib (and describe them with numpy arrays) come out with an open
source licence, I think many people would be interested.

I know the guys at enthought have some code that does something like
this, so they may be able to help you with that project. However, they
make a living selling this thing, so I don't know how much of their
knowledge they will be willing to share (and that's quite
understandable).

--
    Gaël