[SciPy-user] weave: how to give code to someone w/o compiler

Travis N. Vaught travis at enthought.com
Mon Aug 7 12:24:33 CDT 2006

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Hi,
> I just starting to use weave - it seems to be the best thing since sliced
> bread ...
> First I have two questions:
> a) Is it possible to distribute modules using weave to other people who might
> NOT have a C compiler installed ?
>
> b)  when I (or someone who does not have a C compiler !) change parts of that
> module that should not require a recompiling of the C part - is weave smart
> enough to recognise this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian Haase

It's my understanding that a re-compile is triggered by a mismatch to a
MD5 generated on the C string that is to be compiled and the cached MD5
for the expression.  This would mean that only changes to that string
would force a re-compile.  However, even formatting changes (even to
whitespace) in the C string force a recompile.

As I'm not that familiar, this could be just hear-say.

Travis