[SciPy-user] should "python setup.py sdist" provide the sandbox?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 15:41:52 CDT 2006

On 8/12/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Straw wrote:
> > "python setup.py sdist" from the scipy svn tree doesn't grab the sandbox
> > sources. I think it should. (People may want to play with the packages,
> > for example.) A simple way to go about this would be to add all the
> > files to MANIFEST.in. If folks think that's a good idea, I'll go ahead
> > and generate a MANIFEST.in that adds all the files in svn scipy add
> > submit the patch to Trac.
>
> Sure.

Minor note: for some reason I don't understand, distutils will not
remove MANIFEST if things change (MANIFEST.in changes, or directories
it grafts change).  In ipython's setup file, I've had for ages the
following:

# BEFORE importing distutils, remove MANIFEST. distutils doesn't properly
# update it when the contents of directories change.
if os.path.exists('MANIFEST'): os.remove('MANIFEST')

It's never given me any problems and has prevented quite a few
headaches and bizarrely incomplete builds/dists, so you may want to
use it.

cheers,