[SciPy-user] Shooting method in scipy

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Aug 14 02:30:04 CDT 2006

Matthew Brett wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Stefan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 04:24:56PM +0200, Nils Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> Has someone implemented the shooting method in scipy ?
>>>
>> Is this the infamous shooting(self,in_foot) method?
>>

> I doubt it, as that method is implemented in every large code-base!
>
> Matthew

The main steps of the shooting method are

- Transform the given boundary value problem into an initial value
problem with estimated parameters
- Adjust the parameters iteratively to reproduce the given boundary values

A nice application of the shooting method is given in a recent paper by
Coomer et al.
"A non-linear eigenvalue problem associated with inextensible whirling
strings"
Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 239 Issue 5 pp. 969-982 (2001)

Nils