[SciPy-user] odr weighted residuals

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:22:27 CDT 2006

Christian Kristukat wrote:
> Hi,
> this is probably a question for Robert but other people might be interested in
> this as well, so here it goes:
>
> Does odr support weighted residuals such that data points which are far away
> from the bulk of points have small weights?

Nope. Whatever else ODR is, it's still least-squares. In order to do what you
want, you will have to resort to iterated reweighting (Google for algorithms) or
some other scheme that is built on top of least-squares. Or you can construct
the appropriate non-linear optimization problem directly and use one of the
fmin*() functions.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."