[SciPy-user] find roots for spherical bessel functions...

A. M. Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 01:00:21 CDT 2006

On 16/08/06, fred <fredantispam at free.fr> wrote:

> I'm trying to find out the first n roots of the first m spherical bessel
> functions Jn(r)
> (and for the derivative of (r*Jn(r))), for 1<m,n<100.

This is only about 20,000 values, so I recommend precomputing a table
(which will be slow, but only necessary once). Probably the tables
exist somewhere, but whether they're freely available (can you
copyright those numbers?) in digital form... perhaps you should
publish them (and the code, so we can check!) when you succeed?

Looking at Abramowitz and Stegun (
http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_370.htm ), you can see that the
zeros of the m+1st interlace with the zeros of the mth. So if you can
find the first 200 zeros of the first spherical Bessel function, all
the rest fall immediately using (say) brentq.

As for the first, well, you could probably eyeball it, see what the
shortest space between zeros is for the first two hundred, and just
take values at less than half that spacing. That should get you
brackets for all of them. (You could also use some clever estimates of
the sizes of first and second derivatives to make sure you didn't miss
any roots, if you wanted to do it more automatically.) Sturm theory
would probably also let you bracket roots between roots of
integer-weight Bessel functions, if you needed a random-access
function.

Your second function, r*Jn'(r)+Jn(r) will be more painful, but some
clever reasoning about the signs and zeros of Jn and Jn' (and Jn'',
which you can get from the differential equation) should let you
bracket the roots without undue difficulty.

Good luck, and please do make the table available online,
A. M. Archibald

P.S. scipy.special can compute spherical Bessel functions directly.