[SciPy-user] numpy netcdf reader

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Aug 17 17:09:33 CDT 2006

George Nurser wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006, at 17:36, Rob Hetland wrote:
>

>> Konrad & scipy-users,
>>
>> I have made some changes to the scipy.sandbox.netcdf package so
>> that it installs correctly.  (I am a total hack at distutils, but
>> it seems to do the right thing..).  This could also be installed as
>> a stand alone package, since it does not actually depend on scipy
>> for anything.
>>
>> I have tested this module on my Mac, a Redhat distribution, and a
>> Win box (using cygwin netcdf libraries), and all seem to work fine.
>>

> Thanks for doing this. It's very useful. It works fine for me on our
> Linux Redhat 64-bit setup, though haven't needed to write 1 character
> strings.

The netcdf 1-character string support actually prompted better
backward-compatible support for them in NumPy.  There is a version of
pynetcdf (0.6) at pylab.sourceforge.net that works with character
strings and NumPy.  The one in scipy.sandbox is going to replace
pynetcdf (but probably be replaced by another netcdf package).

-Travis