[SciPy-user] OT(?): Lab hardware interface

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Tue Aug 22 11:05:16 CDT 2006

Hi Gary,

There are a number of options, but they are hardware and/or OS dependent.

On linux, the 700 pound gorilla is comedi. This supports lots of
hardware and has a Python interface. (Last I checked, however, they did
not support the nice and inexpensive Measurement Computing USB devices.
I have some useful-for-me but not polished linux wrappers for these
devices based on Warren Jasper's GPL-licensed C libraries.)

On Windows, there are various Python wrappers for the
manufacturer-provided C API for at least National Instruments (last I
checked) and Measurement Computing (I "maintain" this one, called
PyUniversalLibrary).

Bryce is right that pyserial and pyparallel are great for serial and
parallel, if that's all you need.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Andrew