[SciPy-user] OT(?): Lab hardware interface

John Hassler hasslerjc at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 22 11:07:25 CDT 2006

Do you already have the a/d board?  If so, what is it?

By some strange coincidence, I've just been working with exactly that
problem - three times.  In one, I used an ancient, obsolete ISA board on
an ancient, obsolete computer with Linux, comedi, swig, and Python.  For
the other two, I had windows .dll files, and was able to use c_types
with Python to interface directly.  One was Ethernet, the other was USB.

For the USB device (Measurement Computing USB1208) the first part looks
like:
from ctypes import *

# Load the cbw32.DLL file
cbw = windll.LoadLibrary('c:\\MCC\\cbw32.dll')

#  Define the appropriate c_types
RevNum = c_float(0)
VxDRevNum = c_float(0)
BoardNum = c_int(0)
....   and so on.  Then:
    err = cbw.cbAIn (BoardNum, Chan, Gain, byref(DataValue))
    if err != 0: print "a/d error ", DataValue, err
... and the like.  Really very very easy.  I love Python.

I can give you more details, if you're interested.
john