[SciPy-user] Intallation Tests Failed

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Aug 28 22:26:27 CDT 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

>>   Not many files were changed with the numpy checkout,
>>

>    On my notebook I removed the numpy directory and grabbed the trunk head
> from the svn server. After that built, I ran 'numpy.test(level=1)' and got
> three errors: check_ascii, check_both, and check_place.

> ERROR: check_ascii (numpy.core.tests.test_multiarray.test_fromstring)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_multiarray.py",
> line 120, in check_ascii
>      a = fromstring('1 , 2 , 3 , 4',sep=',')
> ValueError: don't know how to read character strings for given array type

This error is known on Python 2.3.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It's
probably a missing function that Python added to it's C-API in Python 2.4
> ERROR: check_both (numpy.lib.tests.test_function_base.test_extins)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/lib/tests/test_function_base.py",
> line 249, in check_both
>      place(a,mask,0)
> NameError: global name 'place' is not defined

> ERROR: check_place (numpy.lib.tests.test_function_base.test_extins)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/lib/tests/test_function_base.py",
> line 242, in check_place
>      place(a,[0,1,0,1,0,1,0],[2,4,6])
> NameError: global name 'place' is not defined

Both of these errors indicate some problem with the installation.   Are
you sure you have the right SVN tree?  What is the output of

svn info  (run from the same directory you ran setup.py from)

What about

python -c "import numpy; print numpy.__version__"