[SciPy-user] optimize.leastsq() question

palazzol at comcast.net palazzol at comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 15:15:17 CST 2006

Hi,

First, I want to thank you all for making SciPy so great.  I am prototyping an application using VPython and SciPy together, and I can't believe how well everything is working after <2 weeks of coding.

Now, on to my question.  I've boiled it down to a small test program which shows the situation, and attached it here.  I am passing an array into my minimization function, intended to hold the return values.  Apparently, this causes some kind of issue, when the array is updated elementwise.  If you run it as-is, you will see the iteration stop after a few tries, with an error.  If you uncomment either of the #err=xxx lines, it works fine.

I am running under WinXP, Python2.4, a slightly older version of SciPy 0.4.9, with numpy-0.9.8.  I'm hoping to upgrade soon, but haven't yet.

Thanks,
-Frank