[SciPy-user] Definition of random variable

Jonas Kahn jonas.kahn at math.u-psud.fr
Fri Dec 8 03:03:00 CST 2006

OK, I have read the source of stats.distributions and finally understood
how to define new random variables. I have also written a convenience
function for defining random variables from the pdf only, if anyone is
interested (I know it is in French, but I wrote it for me).

One remark, however, is that we have to call explicitely the cdf before being
allowed to use the rvs..!
That is why there is this strange line "rv_generee.cdf(1)" in the code
below.

Jonas

def genere_une_rv_a_partir_de_pdf(pdf, min_domaine = None, max_domaine =
None):
    class rv_gen(scipy.stats.distributions.rv_continuous):
        def _pdf(self, x):
            return pdf(x)
    rv_generee = rv_gen(name ="Pour l'instant je remplis",
                        a = min_domaine, b = max_domaine)
    # Pour avoir accès aux variables aléatoires, il faut d'abord générer
    # la
    # cdf...
    rv_generee.cdf(1)
    return rv_generee