[SciPy-user] Building SciPy on OS X: Universal binary issues

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sat Dec 9 19:58:32 CST 2006

On 08/12/2006, at 6:34 PM, Josh Marshall wrote:
> I get an error when importing scipy, as follows:
>
> ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/
> special/_cephes.so: Symbol not found: _printf$LDBLStub
>    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
> lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/special/_cephes.so
>    Expected in: dynamic lookup

These errors are caused by mixing compiler versions.  You cannot link
object code files/static libraries if some of the code is built with
gcc3.x.x and some with gcc4.x.x.   gcc3.x.x must be used with g77 and
gcc4.x.x with gfortran.  You can always link to a dynamic library
(.dylib) regardless of the compiler that built it or even the
language of the source code.

Bill Northcott