[SciPy-user] compiling scipy on Fedora Core 4 -- undefined reference to PyInt_Type

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:53:15 CST 2006

Dear All,

I'm sure I've done something stupid, but I haven't been able to turn up
anything useful with Google, so I need to appeal to the list for help.

I'm trying to install scipy under RedHat Fedora Core 4 on a Xeon, and the
build crashes with a whole bunch of "undefined reference to..." errors when
it gets to the step of running g77 on various fft and fftpack object and
shared object libraries. The first error is "In function 'int_from_pyobj':
build/src/Lib/fftpack/_fftpackmodule.c:109: undefined reference to
'PyInt_Type'.

Can anyone help? I already have NumPy installed and in my PYTHONPATH, and
also turned up on the web various suggestions about using lapack/blas/atlas
even though they're not absolutely required, so I tried with those as well
as without them (first with just lapack and blas, then adding ATLAS) and
encountered the same problem every time.

Am I missing something eseential?

Thanks very much,
David Mobley