[SciPy-user] Submitting images to the wiki

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Feb 6 10:58:35 CST 2006

Arnd Baecker wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Hugo Gamboa wrote:
>

>>What is the process of introducing images in the scipy wiki?
>>

>On the left hand side: select under "Page"
>the point "More Actions", which gives a list containing "Attachment".
>
>In the text you can refer to an attached image by

>(In the plotting tutorial
>  inline:simple_plot.png
>I don't know if there is a relevant difference between these two)
>

>>I would like to introduce a companion image for an example in the cookbook.
>>

>Great!
>
>(BTW: are there any recommendations wrt size/format etc.?)

The only suggestion I have is to make the uploaded image a reasonable
size for embedding in the browser. (400x300 or something.) I say this
because when the browser does its own rescaling it's often not
anti-aliased (aliased?) and hence looks ugly. Interpolating in an image
manipulation program or just generating a smaller image in the first
place produces much nicer results.

I think most people will do this by default, since I'm not sure in Moin
how to get an image to display at non-100% size. But, hey, you asked for
recommendations! :)

Arnd, the reason you couldn't attach a file is probably that you weren't
logged into the wiki. You have to have a login to edit the wiki. Other
than turning on "automatic spam detection" this is so far the only
measure we've taken against wiki spam. Don't forget with the wiki now
accessible at http://scipy.org you may need to login again.

Cheers!
Andrew