[SciPy-user] Plotting libs removed but still out front on scipy.org

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 8 00:45:30 CST 2006

We agreed at the 2004 SciPy conference (or were we a workshop then?)
and subsequent discussions to have finer-grained packaging (at least
on *nix-based platforms), but to have umbrella packages that would use
the dependency mechanism to pull in what a user needed.  This would
allow the faster-developing packages to release more frequently than
the stable packages, but the user's system would still always have
current stuff.

We were also going to officially bless certain packages for plotting,
etc., over others by means of documenting their use almost exclusively
in the intro docs, including them in the umbrella packages, etc.  We
don't yet have official package releases for the new NumPy and SciPy,
but we did agree that Matplotlib was going to be the plotting package
of choice.  So, I don't see why we can't put graphics made with it on
the front page, or anywhere else.

Plus, the site isn't just for SciPy, it's a portal for all scientific
computing in Python, so *any* python-generated graphics should be fine
(though I'd lobby strongly for open-source only, and "blessed"
packages except where otherwise specifically called for).  I also
think that, in most cases, clicking on a graphic on the site should
take you to the recipe for creating it.  Aside from giving full
disclosure, it is also very educational.

--jh--