[SciPy-user] New Lyx Version eas(ier) to install on Windows.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:54:09 CST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> LyX is definitely my favorite way to write a document.

I second that, very much for the same reasons.  I haven't written a whole
document in raw latex since about 1998, back in the lyx 0.10 days.  Even then
it was (for me) superior to the most super-customized
XEmacs+auctex+the_kitchen_sink, and it's only gotten better.

Note that in Lyx, at any point you simply type Ctrl-L (or click a button), and
you can start typing raw latex to your heart's content.  So if you know how to
do something in latex and can't find the equivalent lyx way, you'll never have
to stop.  This is the killer feature for me: lyx lets me write without
worrying about latex 99% of the time, but whenever I need some low-level latex
feature, it's just one keystroke away.

Try it, see if you like it, and make your own decision.  I've also met people
who still prefer latex after trying lyx, so it's very much a personal thing.

Cheers,