[SciPy-user] New Lyx Version eas(ier) to install on Windows.

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Fri Feb 10 06:25:37 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Try it, see if you like it, and make your own decision.  I've also met people
> who still prefer latex after trying lyx, so it's very much a personal thing.

Well, I'm one of these people :)

I learned latex to write my degree thesis. Latex is very
straightforward, it's a simple markup language in fact. You can learn it
in a few days just by working on your document. For me plain latex is
better since I see the *logic* of the document inside the text file.

Plain LaTeX files are all but "write only" IMHO: you *see* what's in the
document from the logic point of view.

I played with LyX a few times but I haven't seen what are the advantages
of it over Latex (I'd like to know about them, if there are), but its
hybrid (WYSI-not-exactly-WYG) approach seems to me not hiding
complexity, but adding confusion.

There are also a lot of very good graphic Latex development environments
like Kile (under Linux/KDE) or TeXnic Center (under Windows) that help
much in user-friendliness and avoiding syntaxis typos/errors.

m.

--
Massimo Sandal
University of Bologna