[SciPy-user] New Lyx Version eas(ier) to install on Windows.

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Feb 10 17:59:08 CST 2006

massimo sandal <massimo.sandal at unibo.it> writes:

>>  you have all the
>> section subsection etc machinery visible from the page layout, without
>> having to constantly do an implicit parse of stuff like:
>> \subsection{Specific Aims}
>> \item{{\bf Aim 1:}
>> It's simple enough to do in your head, but just soaks up brain
>> processing power that I would prefer to use for the writing.
>
> What parsing? I just read "subsection" and that's exactly what I want
> to know: that it is a subsection. It's a logical chunk of my document.
> To see the logical structure of my document exposed is actually more
> straightforward for me.

It's even easier with a current version of Emacs and syntax
highlighting: sections, etc. will be in a bigger, sans serif font, of
a different colour. AUCTeX is great, along with bibcite and reftex
modes. Also, subscripts and superscripts are lowered and raised, and
if you use the preview-latex mode, you can get your equations typeset
and put in the buffer so you're not looking at huge undecipherable
gibberish like Fernando mentions (although a lot of that can be
removed by using appropiate use of identing and spaces).

I haven't tried it yet, but the flymake mode for Emacs should do
on-the-fly syntax checking of LaTeX.

I also define a bunch of commands and environments as necessary to
keep things clean (typing $\dint{x}{x^2}$ instead of $\int
x^2\,\mathrm{d}x$, for instance).

latex-not-LyX-ly yours,