[SciPy-user] RREF - upper triangular

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:40:04 CST 2006

Is there a scipy function to find the upper triangular form of a
matrix?  I need to find the null space or null spaces of a matrix and
have messed around with SVD in the past, but it seems like doing row
reduction on something like [A]x=[0] has worked well.  I have written
my own RREF algorithm in Python, but it seems like I have re-invented
the wheel and I would prefer to use something someone else already
wrote who is smarter about round-off error and I would also prefer
something in FORTRAN of C for speed.  It seems like linalg.solve
almost does what I want except I would need it to return the matrix I
assume it is calculating instead of or along with the solution.

Thanks,

Ryan