[SciPy-user] ATLAS and gcc v4.0.2

Christian Kristukat ckkart at hoc.net
Tue Feb 28 03:29:44 CST 2006

Nils Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Where can I find some hints w.r.t. to ATLAS and
> scipy/numpy ?
> AFAIK the new website has no information on building
> ATLAS.

Well, at least it provides a link to a page with install instructions:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux

> Do I need version 3 of gcc ?
>
> I am on SuSE Linux 10.0 with gcc v4.0.2

In addition to what was already said, I noticed that its important, that the
gfortran compiler is used and not g77. The easiest way to achieve that, is to
make sure that compat-g77.rpm is not installed, but gfortran.rpm is.

And yes, gcc4 works without problems though I can't say anything about performance.

Eric gave instructions to compile f2py. That, however is not needed with numpy
as it's already included.

Regards, Christian