[SciPy-user] ATLAS and gcc v4.0.2

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 28 03:40:38 CST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:29:44 +0900
  Christian Kristukat <ckkart at hoc.net> wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Where can I find some hints w.r.t. to ATLAS and
>> scipy/numpy ?
>> AFAIK the new website has no information on building
>> ATLAS.
>
> Well, at least it provides a link to a page with install
>instructions:
>
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux
>
>> Do I need version 3 of gcc ?
>>
>> I am on SuSE Linux 10.0 with gcc v4.0.2
>>

> In addition to what was already said, I noticed that its
>important, that the
> gfortran compiler is used and not g77. The easiest way
>to achieve that, is to
> make sure that compat-g77.rpm is not installed, but
>gfortran.rpm is.
>
> And yes, gcc4 works without problems though I can't say
>anything about performance.
>
> Eric gave instructions to compile f2py. That, however is
>not needed with numpy
> as it's already included.
>
> Regards, Christian

Hi Christian,

SuSE 10.0 comes with gcc-fortran

Name        : gcc-fortran                  Relocations:
(not relocatable)
Version     : 4.0.2_20050901                    Vendor:
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 3                             Build Date:
Fri 09 Sep 2005 06:08:56 PM CEST
Install date: Mon 27 Feb 2006 01:01:19 PM CET      Build
Host: fatou.suse.de
Group       : Development/Languages/Fortran   Source RPM:
gcc-4.0.2_20050901-3.src.rpm
Size        : 7490931                          License:
GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 09 Sep 2005 07:04:43 PM CEST,
Key ID a84edae89c800aca
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
Summary     : The GNU Fortran Compiler and Support Files
Description :
This is the Fortran compiler of the GNU Compiler
Collection (GCC).

Authors:
--------
     The GCC team.