[SciPy-user] Renaming scipy_core: here we go again

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Jan 4 07:53:41 CST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Gary wrote:

> Gary Ruben wrote:
>
> >I think there is a consensus forming on the dev list to go with numpy.
> >In fact, in the interests of homing in on something quickly, Travis's
> >last post there was to ask for reasons 'against' going with numpy. I'm
> >cross-posting this fact here so everyone gets a voice. My opinion,
> >voiced on the dev list, was to go with numpy. My reading is that unless
> >someone has a really good reason against it, or comes up with a new
> >killer name, it'll be numpy.
> >
> >Gary R.

> small point:  the new name ought to be googleable.  Numpy already has an
> existance, so, at least for a while, googling numpy will return lots of
> obsolete information.   Scicore, for example, wouldn't suffer from this
> problem, although I'm not crazy about scicore.  Names like cobra aren't
> very good in this regard.

But the first hits for numpy are not that bad:
- for the first hit (http://numeric.scipy.org/) Travis is in charge
- 2nd hit: http://www.numpy.org/
  points (with some history information) to
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy
- 3d hit: http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/
  the same
- 4th hit: http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/html2/numpy.html
  obsoleted by now
- 5th hit:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy

So in 4/5 cases you get to the right place.
Seems ok to me.

> I sometimes use a TeX macro package called ConTeXt.   Google is useless.
>
> ATC, I like numpy at the moment, with reservations.
>
> -gary p.

Best, Arnd