[SciPy-user] Renaming scipy_core: here we go again

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 03:32:54 CST 2006

On 1/4/06, Ted Horst <ted.horst at earthlink.net> wrote:

> My (limited) understanding is that scipy_core is primarily the
> multidimensional array class and supporting infrastructure.  It is not
> all that scientific except that linear algebra and ffts have been
> bundled with it.  So perhaps the name should be something along the
> lines of:
>
> ndarray
> multiarray
> bigarray

 Seconded. The name should be descriptive of what it is, not something vague
like 'scicore', which may sound relevant
to developers, but not to anyone new to the library trying to solve a
problem with it. The name should either refer to
multidimensional arrays or linear algebra, since those are the concepts the
lib is all about. A reference to tensors would
be nice too, since they are basically n-D arrays, but that may be a bit
obscure for some. My list of names, including the
one of Ted's list I like, in preferred order:

pytensor
pylinalg
multiarray
tensorlib

 Also, is there a possibility of using capitals in the name, or does your
naming conventions preclude that? I like PyTensor
and PyLinAlg a lot better than pytensor and pylinalg, but that may be a
matter of personal preference.

--
Alex Borghgraef