[SciPy-user] New name for Scipy Core is NumPy

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Jan 5 12:31:45 CST 2006

In article <43BCF749.9060902 at ieee.org>,
 Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> There has been a fast-paced discussion on the scipy-dev list which
> resulted in the renaming of the scipy_core package to numpy in
> preparation for the 0.9. 2 (nearing stable 1.0 release).
>
> You now need to get numpy out of svn:
>
> svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk numpy
>
> and build it before building scipy  (numpy replaces scipy_core)
>
> Also,  you must explicitly call scipy.pkgload() if you want to load the
> scipy namespace with the numpy names (and the scipy sub-package names).
> Otherwise, scipy acts more like a library (you have to explicitly import
> scipy.linalg)
>
> This new packaging structure makes things much nicer for .eggs and
> should mean a more stable platform in the long run.  The only big
> porting effort is to use  replace scipy.base with numpy  and/or
>
> import scipy
> scipy.pkgload()
>
> An actual release of numpy and scipy will follow.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Travis

Thank you. This seems like a very nice improvement over scipy.core. It
may seem like a small thing, but I suspect it will greatly increase the
rate of adoption (since it now looks more like a standalone package). It
certainly will make me more likely to try it out.

One minor suggestion: please settle on numpy or NumPy and use it for
everything. That way one doesn't have to guess on the correct import
statement (unlike the original NumPy which was via "import Numeric";
let's not recreate *that* mess).

-- Russell