[SciPy-user] numpy compatibility with third-party packages?

Giovanni Samaey giovanni.samaey at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Jan 10 03:35:55 CST 2006

Hi all,

I have been making quite intensive use of scipy over the last year(s),
and something that has been a pain for me with the new scipy is the
combined use
of e.g. scipy and mpipython or scipy and pytables etc.

The issue is that mpipython and pytables assume that you are feeding
them numarray
or Numeric arrays, and they don't know the new numpy objects.  Sometimes
using
Numeric.array(...) before sending and scipy.array(...) after getting
them returns wrong
results without me noticing what happened.  Also, this is not really
handy for programming.

Are there efforts to make such packages use new numpy, or efforts to let
arrays present them
in the "expected" way (this is probably silly).  Or are there plans to
make scipy such a fantastic
collection of packages that we do not need the "outside world" anymore?

Do other people have this problem?