[SciPy-user] Inverting Complex64 array fails on OS X

Andre Radke lists at spicynoodles.net
Sun Jan 15 13:28:49 CST 2006

At 0:33 +0100 01/15/2006, Andre Radke wrote:
>I'm new to SciPy and as my first project, I chose to port some linear
>algebra code over from MatLab. I ran into some unexpected results
>while inverting an array of type Complex64. [...]

>This is on an Apple PowerBook G3 (pre-Altivec) running Mac OS X
>10.3.9 with NumPy and SciPy compiled from current svn source
>(0.9.3.1903 and 0.4.4.1550) per Chris' latest instructions on
>new.scipy.org. [...]

>When I comment out the offending line in setup_atlas_version.py and
>run it again, the script raises the AtlasNotFoundError exception. I
>haven't figured out yet whether this means that the build process
>indeed failed to locate the Atlas libraries on my system and if so,
>what replacement (if any) it used instead. Any hints on how to do
>this would be appreciated.

Since posting the above, I have made some progress:

1. Running scipy.test(1) completes without errors (1033 tests in
21.373 seconds) but shows some warnings about empty clapack and cblas
modules.

2. The implementation of inv() in scipy/linalg/basic.py uses the
flapack branches and not the clapack branches.

3. The otool command line tool tells me that the shared libraries
(*.so) in scipy/linalg are all linked with Apple's Accelerate
framework.

I assume this means that the build process used the Fortran version
of LAPACK provided as part of Mac OS X. Is this the way it's supposed
to work?

If so, any ideas what else could cause scipy.linalg.inv() to return
incorrect results for a matrix of type Complex64 on my machine?

Still digging...

-Andre

--
Andre Radke + mailto:lists at spicynoodles.net + http://spicynoodles.net/