[SciPy-user] Suggested Linux Distribution?

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 16 09:18:48 CST 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 09:56, Ryan Krauss wrote:
> I have been really happy with Ubuntu, but this is one of those loaded
> questions among Linux users.  Installing all the prerequisites for
> SciPy was fairly straight forward (I think almost all of them are in
> the package system).

For what its worth:

I am a longtime gentoo user. I was recently considering switching to ubuntu,
mainly because when I tell everyone how great Linux is, I can't recommend
gentoo due to how difficult it is to install. Last week I tried installing
kubuntu, and had a hard time understanding the package manager, how to
upgrade to the most recent kernel, how do I find the full lapack installation
required to build scipy, etc. Compared to gentoo, the package system seemed a
bit messy (universe, multiverse, etc) and not as current.

I guess I am sticking with gentoo and hoping for the gentoo installer project
to mature, so I dont have to waste two days setting up my next computer.

Darren