[SciPy-user] Suggested Linux Distribution?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 16 09:20:23 CST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, mfmorss at aep.com wrote:

> For scientific computing I would strongly recommend a distribution that
> compiles from source; that's the only way to exploit the full power of your
> machine (most binary distros, for universality's sake, are compiled for the
> i386).

   With any distribution you can build a custom kernel; as a matter of fact,
you should. That's where you get the fine-tuning of your installation.

   I ran Red Hat for six years, then switched to Slackware about 2.5 years ago
to get away from the bleeding edge and upgrade dependency hell. It's one of
the most secure, stable, reliable distributions available. And, you don't
need to build it all from source. If you want to spend a lot of time doing
so, then gentoo is probably a good choice. However, if you want a clean, easy
installation of a distribution that's solid as a rock and more than a decade
old, take a look at <http://www.slackware.com/>. I call it the "quiet
distribution."

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"