[SciPy-user] sparse matrices and umfpack

Barry Drake bldrake at adaptcs.com
Fri Jan 20 13:16:33 CST 2006

I'm trying to use UMFSparse, but there is no module
umfpack which should be imported at the beginning of
UMFSparse.py:

"""UMFSparse:  A minimal sparse-matrix class for
Python, useful for interfacing
with the UMFPACK library for solving large linear
systems,

This file defines a class: UMFmatrix that defines a
sparse-matrix class.
It is designed so that the attribute data points to
the non-zero values in
the matrix and index is a list of arrays which detail
how to place the
non-zero values in the array.  Currently only a
compressed sparse row
storage is implemented.
"""

import scipy_base
import scipy.io as io
import types
import struct
import umfpack

Where is umfpack?  I'm using the latest version of
Enthought's Python distro on a Win XP Pro system.
I've searched my hard drive, the message archives,
googled, and gmaned.  So far nothing that helps.

Anyone know where the umfpack module is?

Thanks.
Barry Drake