[SciPy-user] building scipy

Nicholas Kottenstette nkottens at nd.edu
Wed Jan 25 09:53:39 CST 2006

Hey guys,

I'm still a bit confused as to whether I need to install Numeric or not.

Following the building scipy routines for unix
http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt
I went and built scipy which did not generate any of the linear algebra
routines.  ie. unable to import LinearAlgebra

So looking at the Downloads documentation, I saw that Numeric should be
installed.  Looking at the old Numeric documentation this would
definetly give me the linear algebra interface, which I did and it works.

Is this a correct conclusion:
1. In order to use scipy and utilize linear algebra features such as the
ability to calculate a matrix inverse and perform a matrixmultiply I
need to:
a) first build and install Numeric, I used version 24.2 from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=1351
b) then build and install scipy as described in
http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt

Looking at Travis's documentation on NumPy p. 14 and p. 15 leaves me
even further confused.  This tends to imply that I should build and
install numpy instead of Numeric in order to get the linalg package.
But is NumPy already part of scipy?

Sincerely,

Nicholas Kottenstette