[SciPy-user] building scipy

Nicholas Kottenstette nkottens at nd.edu
Wed Jan 25 17:29:13 CST 2006

Nils Wagner wrote:

>Nicholas Kottenstette wrote:
>

>>Hey guys,
>>
>>I'm still a bit confused as to whether I need to install Numeric or not.
>>
>>Following the building scipy routines for unix
>>http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt
>>I went and built scipy which did not generate any of the linear algebra
>>routines.  ie. unable to import LinearAlgebra
>>
>>So looking at the Downloads documentation, I saw that Numeric should be
>>installed.  Looking at the old Numeric documentation this would
>>definetly give me the linear algebra interface, which I did and it works.
>>
>>Is this a correct conclusion:
>>1. In order to use scipy and utilize linear algebra features such as the
>>ability to calculate a matrix inverse and perform a matrixmultiply I
>>need to:
>>a) first build and install Numeric, I used version 24.2 from
>>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=1351
>>b) then build and install scipy as described in
>>http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt
>>
>>Looking at Travis's documentation on NumPy p. 14 and p. 15 leaves me
>>even further confused.  This tends to imply that I should build and
>>install numpy instead of Numeric in order to get the linalg package.
>>But is NumPy already part of scipy?
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Nicholas Kottenstette

>Please follow the instructions available via
>
>http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/Installing_SciPy
>
>Nils

Nils,

Thanks for the reply.  This clarifies things a bit.
Reading the wiki:
http://pong.tamu.edu/tiki/tiki-view_blog_post.php?blogId=6&postId=97

which has me working from the repository for numpy and
scipy what is the correct way to reflect updates as they occur?

ie.
cd numpy
svn up
python setup.py clean --all
python setup.py install
#It seems to me in order to get this stuff totally removed
#from my python libraries I actually need to
#remove /lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy in order
#to eliminate any version of previously installed stuff

Sincerely,

Nicholas