[SciPy-user] Confusing BLAS/LAPACK situation on Mac OS X

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 15:06:02 CST 2006

Brian Granger wrote:
> Thus, It looks like the Apple supplied cblas and clapack libraries are never used, even though they are found at build time.  What is the current status of using Apple's cblas and clapack?  Can I use them from within scipy/numpy?  How?

AFAICT, Accelerate.framework does not include CLAPACK versions of their LAPACK
functions, although they do include CBLAS versions of their BLAS functions. I've
never looked into how scipy determines the existince of the CBLAS routines
because I've always used ATLAS since Accelerate.framework does not contain the
CLAPACK versions.

However, it looks like the culprit is line 82 in scipy/Lib/linalg/setup.py.

82        if name[0]=='c' and atlas_version is None and newer(__file__,target):
              f = open(target,'w')
              f.write('python module '+name+'\n')
              f.write('usercode void empty_module(void) {}\n')

I don't think atlas_version gets set when the ATLAS is Accelerate.framework.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter