[SciPy-user] extract array elements whis where() output

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Wed Jun 21 15:04:54 CDT 2006

First of all: what's better (a) post this only on the numpy list (b)
only on the scipy list (I think many scipy users may find the answer to
questions like this one interesting) or (c) post on both.

I can't extract elements from array x with a mask array of indices but
x.take (Numeric style works). I'm sure that I have done such things
before .... and they worked.

In [58]: x
Out[58]: array([0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 0, 9])

In [59]: mask=where(x!=0.0)[0]

In [60]: mask
Out[60]: array([2, 3, 4, 7])

In [61]: x.take(mask)
Out[61]: array([1, 2, 3, 9])

In [62]: x(mask)
exceptions.TypeError                                 Traceback (most
recent call last)

/home/elcorto/ode_testdata/<ipython console>

TypeError: 'numpy.ndarray' object is not callable

In [63]: numpy.__version__
Out[63]: '0.9.9.2612'

cheers,
steve

--
Random number generation is the art of producing pure gibberish as
quickly as possible.