[SciPy-user] scipy itpython and debian

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Mon Jun 26 03:35:00 CDT 2006

Samuel GARCIA wrote:
> Sorry if it is not the good place,
>
> I have a debian testing (etch) , I use the python-matplotlib and
> python-ipythonn official debian package.
> For numpy and scipy I build them from SVN. Everythings seems to works. I
> don't install the old scipy debian package.
>
> My problem is when I upgrade with apt-get updgrade. I have something
> like that :
>
> Paramétrage de debconf (1.5.2) ...
> Compiling
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/examples/conditionalexample2.py
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/examples/conditionalexample2.py",
> line 53
>     samplespace_index = dict((x, i) for i, x in enumerate(samplespace))
>                                       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> For the moment the solution is to remove scipy and numpy and rebuild
> them after.
>
> 2 questions :
> - is there an easier way to upgrade without interaction with scipy ?
> - is there an unofficial debian repository for scipy and numpy while
> waiting for the official new scipy debian package ?

I have exactly the same problem with testing. You don't need to rebuild.
What I do is

mv /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/ /tmp/numpy
mv /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/ /tmp/scipy

apt-get [dist-]upgrade

mv /tmp/numpy /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
mv /tmp/scipy /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/

However, if someone knows a *real* solution, that would be nice.

cheers,
steve

--
Random number generation is the art of producing pure gibberish as
quickly as possible.