[SciPy-user] Anybody used weave.blitz to speed NumPy up?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Jun 29 04:22:33 CDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Fernando, could you send the source code of the function that was
>> created and compiled by weave.
>
> Here it goes, Travis.  I'm using ubuntu dapper, which comes with
> python 2.4.3 and gcc 4.0.3.
>
> I'm testing a bit more...

Problem discovered.  I have a "debug" build of Python (i.e.
--enable-debug when compiling Python).  The debug-build of Python
executes code more slowly but keeps track of reference counts.

Apparently, this is just enough to diminish any gains by weave.blitz.
It also probably compiles with fewer optimizations set.

Using a non debug build of Python, I see the blitz improvement.

Sorry to trouble everyone...

-Travis