[SciPy-user] Triangulation of L-shaped domains

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:32:28 CDT 2006

Nils Wagner wrote:

>>     Nils> Hi all, I have installed delaunay from the sandbox.  How can
>>     Nils> I triangulate L-shaped domains ?
>>
>>     Nils> My first try is somewhat unsatisfactory (delaunay.png) ?
>>     Nils> How can I remove the unwanted triangles down to the right ?
>>
>> delaunay assumes a convex shape, which your domain is not.  I think
>> you'll need a more sophisticated mesh algorithm.
>
> A short note in the docstring would be very helpful.
> **delaunay assumes a convex shape**

Actually, it doesn't "assume" any shape at all. It computes a Delaunay
triangulation of a set of points irrespective of any boundary edges that you
might have wanted. That's what an (unqualified) Delaunay triangulation is.

Docstrings are not the place for tutorials on basic concepts. Google works quite
well.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."