[SciPy-user] numpy/scipy+ATLAS on SuSE10.0/gcc4 (once more)

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Mar 7 07:16:50 CST 2006

mfmorss at aep.com wrote:
> "GCC 3.4.x is the last edition of GCC to contain g77 - from GCC 3.5
> onwards, use gfortran"
>
> That is a quotation from http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.1
> /g77/News.html.  Therefore, I don't know what it means to say "with
> gcc4/g77."  It may simply be that "g77" is a synonym for gfortran under
> gcc-4.0.  That could explain why your shared libraries have been compiled
> with what appear to be gfortran-specific references.
>
> To repeat what I said here some days ago, I strongly recommend you quit
> using gcc-4.0.  It is not difficult to build the much more reliable
> gcc-3.4.5 from source.  Use --enable-languages=c,f77.  It may be a good
> idea to keep it in a different directory from that which holds gcc-4.  You
> can do that if you configure with --prefix=<gcc-top-directory>.  Then alias
> "g77" to the the new g77.  Then build the math libraries.
>
> Mark F. Morss
> Principal Analyst, Market Risk
> American Electric Power

 I was able to build numpy/scipy using gcc4.0.2.

SuSE 10.0 comes with
rpm -qi compat-g77

Name        : compat-g77                   Relocations: /usr

Version     : 3.3.5                             Vendor: SUSE LINUX
Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Sat 10 Sep 2005
01:47:44 AM CEST
Install date: Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:32:44 PM CET      Build Host:
ensslin.suse.de
Group       : Development/Languages/Fortran   Source RPM:
compat-g77-3.3.5-2.src.rpm
Size        : 6289257                          License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 10 Sep 2005 04:55:00 AM CEST, Key ID
a84edae89c800aca
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
Summary     : GNU Fortran 77 Compiler

Description :
This is a Fortran 77 only compiler based on GCC 3.3.5.  It can be used
for source not yet compilable by the gcc-fortran package which contains
the new gfortran compiler.

So I have used g77 to compile ATLAS and numpy/scipy. It works fine for me.

Essentially gfortran cannot be used  !!!!

Nils