[SciPy-user] GCC 3.3 requirement

Robert Hetland hetland at tamu.edu
Fri Mar 10 08:58:23 CST 2006

Apple shipped a crippled version of GCC  3.3 with the new intel
Macs.  (It seems like it is there -- there is a package, and you can
gcc_select it -- but it does not work properly.)

Many on this list have discouraged using 4.0 for building scipy.  I
have also found that 3.3 works on the *PPC* Mac, where 4.0 does not.
However, it seems inevitable that mac users will need to compile with
4.0 as more users get new Intel based machines.  I am sure that
eventually someone will provide an unofficial gcc 3.3 package (like
Guarav Khanna who maintains hpc.sf.net), but I don't think this is a
good long-term solution.

What are the issues involved?  Why do we need gcc 3.3?  Is there some
sort of timescale for moving the code base up to GCC 4.0 (or 4.x)
compliance?

-Rob.

-----
Rob Hetland, Assistant Professor
Dept of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
p: 979-458-0096, f: 979-845-6331
e: hetland at tamu.edu, w: http://pong.tamu.edu