[SciPy-user] GCC 3.3 requirement

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Fri Mar 10 09:14:54 CST 2006

On 10/03/2006, at 3:58 PM, Robert Hetland wrote:

> Apple shipped a crippled version of GCC  3.3 with the new intel
> Macs.  (It seems like it is there -- there is a package, and you
> can gcc_select it -- but it does not work properly.)
>
> Many on this list have discouraged using 4.0 for building scipy.  I
> have also found that 3.3 works on the *PPC* Mac, where 4.0 does
> not.  However, it seems inevitable that mac users will need to
> compile with 4.0 as more users get new Intel based machines.  I am
> sure that eventually someone will provide an unofficial gcc 3.3
> package (like Guarav Khanna who maintains hpc.sf.net), but I don't
> think this is a good long-term solution.

I agree.

> What are the issues involved?  Why do we need gcc 3.3?  Is there
> some sort of timescale for moving the code base up to GCC 4.0 (or
> 4.x) compliance?

It seems the main problem is with bugs in the latest versions, rather
than any fundamental incompatibility.  Of course it would be great to
isolate them, report them to the GCC maintainers, and get them fixed.

I seem to recall that SciPy mostly works with Apple's GCC 4.0 for
PPC, except for long double data types.  Perhaps we could start up a
Wiki page with info on what works and what doesn't with GCC 4.x on
different platforms, and try to isolate or work around the problems
one by one ...

-- Ed