[SciPy-user] GCC 3.3 requirement

mfmorss@aep.com mfmorss at aep.com
Mon Mar 13 06:51:45 CST 2006

MFMorss said:
      Gcc-3.4.5 (including g77) isn't going to go away, and if you don't
      have it, it's not a huge problem to build it.

Robert Headland said:
      Well, it is also not all that simple either.  You need to bootstrap a
      compiler build -- if you only have the newest, you are coming from
      the wrong direction.

You may be right about "coming from the wrong direction," but in fact, on
our AIX 5.2 machine here, I did first obtain GCC-4.0.2 in binary from
UCLA's Public Domain Software Library for AIX
(http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/index.html), then use it to build
gcc-3.4.5.  The resulting compiler appears to work just fine; using it,
I've been able to build some things that I couldn't build with gcc4.
Whether this outcome is unusual, I don't know.  I sometimes think that
everything about AIX is unusual.

Mark F. Morss
Principal Analyst, Market Risk
American Electric Power

             Robert Hetland
             <hetland at tamu.edu
             Sent by:                  SciPy Users List
             scipy-user-bounce         <scipy-user at scipy.net>
             s at scipy.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/10/2006 07:35          Re: [SciPy-user] GCC 3.3
             PM                        requirement

             Please respond to
             SciPy Users List
             <scipy-user at scipy
                   .net>

On Mar 10, 2006, at 2:15 PM, mfmorss at aep.com wrote:

      I don't really see any problem with not being able or willing to use
      more
      recent versions of gcc, since for the time being, the older version
      is more
      stable.

Well, the new Intel Macs don't have the older version. I suspect at some
point some of the linuxes will do as well.  That's my only point.

      Gcc-3.4.5 (including g77) isn't going to go away, and if you don't
      have it, it's not a huge problem to build it.

Well, it is also not all that simple either.  You need to bootstrap a
compiler build -- if you only have the newest, you are coming from the
wrong direction.  I imagine that there will be binary packages for the
Intel Mac in short order, but that still requires installing even *more*
stuff to get scipy working right.

My main point is simply:  If you restrict your audience to people who can
install compilers, it will be pretty small..

If I don't reply, it's because I'm on vacation for a week...

-Rob.

-----
Rob Hetland, Assistant Professor
Dept of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
p: 979-458-0096, f: 979-845-6331
e: hetland at tamu.edu, w: http://pong.tamu.edu