[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] [ANN] NumPy 0.9.6 released

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 19:21:16 CST 2006

On 3/15/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> Paul Ray wrote:
>
> >On Mar 14, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> >

> >I think that many people with codes that use Numeric or numarray are
> >awaiting the numpy 1.0 release as a sign that it is stable and ready
> >for prime time, before converting their codes.
> >

> We need some of these people to convert earlier than that, though, so we
> can make sure that 1.0 really is ready for prime time.  I think it's
> very close already or the version number wouldn't be so high.

This is probably obvious and in the plans already, but if it's true that
many people are waiting for 1.0 before they give it a try, it may make sense
to have a "1.0-beta" series of releases, or "1.0-release candidates" leading
up to the final release of 1.0.  This may pull a few more folks before the
1.0 API is frozen forever.

--bb