[SciPy-user] nd_image

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:52:36 CST 2006

joris at ster.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:
>    [TO]: So, what we have in SciPy is "the official" home for the numpy
>    [TO]: version of his package.
>
> Sorry, I am a bit lost here. So nd_image was a numarray library, and is now
> available via scipy where it works with numpy arrays (correct?). At the moment,
> the library is unmaintained though, regardless whether it would be part of
> scipy or numpy. Correct? If so, why exactly would it be better to put it under
> scipy rather than under numpy?

In my opinion, there should be even less stuff in numpy. If I had my 'druthers,
linalg, random, and dft wouldn't be in numpy either.

> Some people don't need scipy for their work and are happy with numpy alone.
> It used to be rather easy for them to use nd_image with numarray, but if I
> understand you correctly, they would now have to install an entire new package,
> which for scipy is still quite a challenge compared to numpy.

The problem is that this argument is the same for just about *any* scipy
package. There needs to be a better reason to place something in numpy.
Otherwise, we will end up with a numpy as bloated and difficult to install as scipy.

If you want to ameliorate the problem, the way to do it is to work on scipy's
packaging such that each subpackage can be built and installed separately. We're
not very far from being able to do that.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."